Monday, July 4, 2011

Independence Day

I’m not a big fan of the 4th of July. Don’t get me wrong, I’m proud to be an American and I love our country and seeing and participating in all the patriotism. I like to celebrate at a backyard barbecue and by watching a professional fireworks show. I’m just not into the drunk hillbillies playing with fire and explosives until 3:00 am and then getting into their trucks and driving around town, looking for more fireworks. Does this only happen in my part of the country?

We live near Indian reservations and they sell all kinds of illegal fireworks weeks before the holiday arrives, so the 4th tends to be just a string of loud noises. Animals freak out and run away. Kids can’t sleep. I refuse to drive anywhere after 8:00 pm because of all the drunks on the road. One year a tree in our yard caught fire, so now I’m paranoid and make Jacob water our HOUSE. No joke.  I won’t be able to sleep tonight.

We live in a great country. We are free. It’s important to celebrate that. But please, please, please be safe and make sure those around you are also safe. DO NOT drink and drive and take extra care of your kids and pets.

Happy Independence Day!

















 




(Yeah, I had to sneak Britney in there)

No comments:

Post a Comment