Friday, November 5, 2010

Movie reviews


When we moved back to our home town, we had to stay with my parents for a few weeks until our house was finished. While it was a crowded situation, I loved the perk of live-in babysitters. After we put Nolan to bed, Jacob and I were able to get out and go on a few dates. Since its fall and rainy, that usually means dinner and a movie. Here are the movies I saw in October.


The Social Network


I loved this movie. I hadn’t read the book it was based on and didn’t know much about Mark Zuckerberg, except that he created facebook for Harvard and then other prestigious universities before allowing it to go public. I had no idea about all the fighting and lawsuits, so it was interesting to me. My husband hated it. He said it was boring and expected more excitement. I've always loved the way Aaron Sorkin writes (The West Wing), so the script was crisp, clean and quick. Jesse Eisenberg was really, really amazing and I may have a little crush on Andrew Garfield (did you know he's British?). I cannot believe that Armie Hammer played both of the Winklevoss twins. We've come along way since Haley Mills in The Parent Trap! I think it’s a must see, whether you like facebook or not.


Case 39


This was a freaky movie. I love horror movies that make you wait for the scary scene when your heart jumps out of your chest and then you want to watch the rest of the movie through your fingers. This one did that to me. I wanted to slap the little psycho girl. Repeatedly. Renee Zellweger wasn’t great, but the acting in a horror movie rarely is, so I didn't expect much. Bradley Cooper made up for it. He was delicious to look at.


Catfish


I went into this movie not really knowing much about it. When I saw the trailer, I thought it was a horror movie about a creepy stalker guy or something. Then a friend told me it was a documentary. The theater had it listed as a thriller/documentary. I wasn’t even sure what the plot was supposed to be about. About twenty minutes into it, we thought we were at the wrong movie. I don’t want to give anything away here. The number one rule about seeing this movie is don’t let anyone tell you what it’s about. It wasn’t a thriller or a scary movie at all, but it did give me the major creeps and it was sad at the same time. There’s still a ton of debate about how real it is. I think some aspects are real, but for the most part, no way. I’ll let you see it and decide for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment