Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Catstronomy

The Klaxons have released a new album!
Or shall I say, they released a new album, in August of this year; however, it's taken me 2 months to get around to listen to it. After their 2006 Myths of the Near Future, I eagerly awaited the release of a new album from one of my favorite bands of my teenage years, but when Surfing the Void came out in August, I just wasn't feeling it... at least not right away. Perhaps there has been a change in the wind (I mean, literally there has, it's full-blown Ohio fall) that has made me reconsider giving the album a second try, but boy am I glad that I did. It's harder and more pop-driven (oxymoron? I think not), but I think that's exactly what The Klaxons needed after their four year hiatus. The Same Space is my favorite track by far. It has all the classic features of a Klaxon's song- heavy noise guitar, harmonizing british accents and a splash of echoing psychedelia. Twin Flames is also up there on my track list ratings. It seems like an ode to Robert Smith. Surfing the Void is equally as good a title for this album. It gives the listener the feeling that they're doing just that- surfing through space and time. After listening to the album you wonder how much time has even passed, but you need to give it a second listen just to be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment