Monday, January 10, 2011

Music Monday - 90s R&B

Last month an amazing tour rolled through town. It was called “The Ladies Night Out Concert” and it featured Shai, Ginuwine, H-Town, Silk and K-Ci & JoJo. Yep, you read that right. R&B groups from the 90s. I didn’t go, but just hearing those names (and then downloading a few of their songs) reminded me so much of junior high. We didn’t have dances in junior high, we had “socials.” From 7:00 to 10:00 on a Friday night the school would open up the gym and order pizza and serve chips and soda. The big gym would be for basketball, eating and hanging out on the bleachers, while the small gym turned into a dance party. They turned out the lights, put up a disco ball and got a DJ, who provided a song request sign up sheet. I’m pretty sure all of these songs were on that list. While the boys were busy stuffing their faces, sweating and playing basketball, the girls were in that small gym dancing with each other in a circle. Good times.

Shai - If I Ever Fall In Love

And if I ever fall in love again
I will be sure that the lady is a friend
And if I ever fall in love so true
I will be sure that the lady's just like you



H-Town - Knockin’ Da Boots

Good loving body rockin' knockin boots all night long, yeah
Making love until we're tired, till the break of dawn
Oh come on and turn the lights down and let me get on it, yeah
Cause when I do just me and you, it'll be so right
Give me some good love (some body rockin, knockin da boots)



Silk - Freak Me

Let me lick you up and down till you say stop
Let me play with your body baby, make you real hot
Let me do all the things you want me to do
Cause tonight baby I wanna get freaky with you


Except for the Shai song, these are so inappropriate for a 13 year old! One thing I forgot to mention: this tour was actually titled “The Ladies Night Out Concert: Volume 1.” What is going to be in store for us in Volume 2?

No comments:

Post a Comment