Tuesday, January 25, 2011

And The Nominees Are…

I try to see as many Oscar nominated movies as I can before the award show so that I know what’s going on and who deserves what. This year, I saw quite a few (they are in purple). Here are my Oscar favorites, though not necessarily my predictions.


ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLL
Javier Bardem, Jeff Bridges, Jesse Eisenberg, Colin Firth, James Franco.

As much as I loved everything about The Social Network and Jesse Eisenberg's performance, Colin Firth was outstanding and should definitely win.



ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLL
Annette Bening,  Nicole Kidman, Jennifer Lawrence, Natalie Portman, Michelle Williams.

I'm bummed that I haven't seen Rabbit Hole. As depressing as it looks, I've heard great things about Nicole Kidman's performance. Michelle Williams was pretty great in Blue Valentine, but this Oscar has to go to Natalie Portman!



ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLL
Christian Bale, John Hawkes, Jeremy Renner, Mark Ruffalo, Geoffrey Rush.

Geoffrey Rush was amazing, but nothing compares to Christian Bale transforming his body once again for this heartbreaking role. You wouldn't even recognize him!



ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLL
Amy Adams, Helena Bonham Carter, Melissa Leo, Hailee Steinfeld, Jacki Weaver.

Melissa Leo and Amy Adams were great in The Fighter, but Helena Bonham Carter was perfection as Queen Elizabeth.



DIRECTING
Darren Aronofsky, Joel and Ethan Coen, David Fincher, Tom Hooper, David O. Russell.

What? Christopher Nolan wasn't nominated for Inception? That's absurd! My vote would have totally gone to him. David Fincher it is!



BEST PICTURE
127 Hours, Black Swan, The Fighter, Inception, The Kids Are All Right, The King’s Speech, The Social Network, Toy Story 3, True Grit, Winter’s Bone.

I'm impressed with myself for seeing seven out of the ten nominated movies. Not too shabby. How sad is it that I before Oscar buzz, I hadn't even heard of Winter's Bone? True Grit didn't look interesting to me at all. I attempted to watch Toy Story 3 with my two year old but he wasn't interested and it sat around here for a month before I finally turned it back in to Netflix. I've got to get that one back in my queue! Social Network was by far my favorite movie of the year.



WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)
127 Hours, The Social Network, Toy Story 3, True Grit, Winter's Bone.

No one is better than Aaron Sorkin. I love him.



WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)
The Kids Are All Right, The Fighter, Another Year, Inception, The King’s Speech.

Inception was incredibly original and mind boggling. I hope it wins.



DOCUMENTARY
Exit Through the Gift Shop, Gasland, Inside Job, Restrepo, Waste Land.

I love documentaries. I'm surprised I didn't see more of these. I better get on that! Exit Through The Gift Shop was my favorite of the two I did see.

No comments:

Post a Comment