Saturday, July 3, 2010

Robert Burns



The Auckland statue broke with tradition. Instead of Burns in writer's garb holding a pen, Pomeroy created an image of Burns as the ploughman poet. Burns is shown in a tailcoat, knee breeches and a big Kilmarnock bonnet, leaning lazily against a plough and wistfully holding a pencil and notebook.
href="http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_nScWyFpFyOY/Sy1ToJrHAzI/AAAAAAAAIrc/OYJqhFF47B8/s1600-h/scenic+sunday.jpg">
http://scenicsunday.blogspot.com/


Robert Burns (25 January 1759 – 21 July 1796) (also known as Rabbie Burns, Scotland's favourite son, the Ploughman Poet, Robden of Solway Firth, the Bard of Ayrshire and in Scotland as simply The Bard[1][2]) was a Scottish poet and a lyricist. He is widely regarded as the national poet of Scotland, and is celebrated worldwide.

I might have heard of Rabbie Burns before, but it only on Wednesday that Edgar senior told me about the Statue in the Auckland Domain.

Strange as it may be, I read JunieRose2005's blog a poem of Robert Burns. http://just-poems-from-june.blogspot.com/2010/06/ruby-tuesday-6-29-10-oh-red-red-rose.html (Read the comments that followed)
Blogger Ann said...
Isn't funny today, I should be told about Rabbie Burns, the Scottish poet? and you have posted his poem?
I was talking to an elderly man whose wife I work with, he tells me that his son is a sculptor and his work/sculpture is next to the statue of Robert Burns.
You think our life in connected? I plan to take the photo tomorrow and will post it for you.

On Thursday, I went to look for the Edgar Sculpture using Rabbie Burns as my guide. I took some photos and determined to find out more about Rabbie.

Blogger JunieRose2005 said... ;)
Yes, Ann, more and more it becomes evident just how much all our lives are connected.
This poem often comes to mind when I look at a red rose!
I'll be pleased to see your photo of the statue.
Thanks for coming by!
Junie

Blogger Ann said...

I went the next day to the Auckland Domain, it took a long time to locate Robbie. When I asked, some one asked if he was my son. LOL
I will do it for you on my Sunday post. He was standing very high up.
Next time, I see a red rose, I will remember him too.

No comments:

Post a Comment