Friday, June 25, 2010

skywatch Friday: LPG




http://skyley.blogspot.com/
I was curious with this big tanker that pulled up at the gas station. It was delivering LPG. Liquefied petroleum gas (also called LPG, GPL, LP Gas, or autogas) is a flammable mixture of hydrocarbon gases used as a fuel in heating appliances and vehicles, and increasingly replacing chlorofluorocarbons as an aerosol propellant and a refrigerant to reduce damage to the ozone layer.

In my late teens, my mum in Borneo used LPG for her cooking. The gas came in canisters. Here in Auckland, I see customers take their empty canisters to fill them with LPG in the gas station.

This is a real story which my friend told me. In Miri town, there is a lot of natural gas. The Shell company has pipes to households. This gas is much cheaper than the gas pumped in the canisters.

A man living just at the fringe of gas pipes complained that he had to pay so much for the gas canister, while his next door neighbour gets his piped-in gas for a fraction of his gas. The gas delivery man told of how the gas company had to pay for extra pipes to be laid, people to fill up the canister, to load on to the truck and then pay the delivery man. The man said, save your cock and bull story, what if I just puncture a hole, and weld my pipe to the mains.

The sky was overcast that day I took the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment