Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Twilight fever

I’m the first to admit that the Twilight series is a nice guilty pleasure. I first heard about the books in 2007 when Jacob and I were on our honeymoon in Europe. A teenager from London asked where we were from and when we said Seattle, Washington she got really excited and said “I’m reading a book about Washington. Is Forks really that rainy?“ We said that yes, it really is, and our conversation took a turn for something else. A year or so after that, I heard about the books again from my 13 year old niece and thought it was like a new version of the Harry Potter books. Instead of wizards, it’s vampires, but hey, at least kids were excited about reading again. I didn’t think anything else of it until a year later when my best gay, Anthony, begged me to see the movie Twilight with him. As someone who rarely turns down any movie, I went and I enjoyed. The next day, I bought the books, but I didn’t devour them like most people do. I read the first two books in two weeks but the third and fourth books just sat around. Anthony and I made another plan to see New Moon when it came out last year, but I pretty much just laughed my way through it. It wasn’t as good as the first, but we all know that. I finally picked up Eclipse last month so I could read it before the movie comes out and now I've got a date with Anthony scheduled to see it opening weekend.


The Twilight press train is coming at us full steam ahead. I’m not a fan of Kristen Stewart. She is so awkward and strange. She mumbles, stutters, cringes, flinches, twitches and blinks WAY too much. She makes the movies so hard for me to watch. She looks like a mess on the red carpet. I can't understand anything she's saying in interviews. And it wouldn't hurt to run a brush through her hair.


I also don’t really like Robert Pattinson. I guess I can see some of the appeal. Is it the hair? Or the British accent?  Maybe it's just because people see him as Edward? I am Team Edward, but I'll pass on Robert. He's just not my type.


Taylor Lautner, on the other hand, is exactly my type. And I don’t mind looking at him all over the place one bit. Check out his spread in the July GQ. Sigh...









They didn’t make boys like that when I was in high school! Swoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment