Sunday, December 26, 2010

Scenic Sunday:Paneton from Peru






href="http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_nScWyFpFyOY/Sy1ToJrHAzI/AAAAAAAAIrc/OYJqhFF47B8/s1600-h/scenic+sunday.jpg">
http://scenicsunday.blogspot.com/

My ESOL student Felistas from Peru gave me this Paneton she received from Peru. It was greeted with interest when I served it to an International group of New Zealanders, Malaysiam, Indian and Taiwanese. We had not seen it before, but the day before I Christmas day, I saw a new product in our local supermarket, the Paneton they were selling were not as high as the Peruvian.

While chatting with Gattina, she too featured on this. You will notice by the time the Italian Panettone has travelled across the Atlantic ocean to South American, they had dropped a letter t and letter E. I am not sure if they dropped some ingredients and added others.

As for the taste, the proof is in the eating. My New Zealand friend says it is a bit like the German Strudel. My husband says it is good because it is not fatty.

Honestly, I didn't eat much, I only lament my Mum's best butter cake, baked over a charcoal fire. Nobody can beat that.

Panettone (pronounced /pænəˈtoʊni/) is a type of sweet bread loaf originally from Milan (in Milanese it is called panaton),[1] usually prepared and enjoyed for Christmas and New Year in Italy, Malta, Brazil and Switzerland, and one of the symbols of the city of Milan. Maltese nationals are also traditionally associated with this sweet loaf. In Latin America, especially in Venezuela, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay, Brazil, Ecuador, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia and Peru, it is a Christmas dinner staple and in some places replaces roscón de reyes (King cake).

It has a cupola shape, which extends from a cylindrical base and is usually about 12-15 cm high for a panettone weighing 1 kg.

No comments:

Post a Comment