Thursday, September 22, 2011

Chicago At The Fair

Last year my sister, two friends and I went to the fair to see Hall & Oates. We had so much fun eating fair food and rocking out to such an awesome ‘80s band, we decided to do it every year. This year? Chicago. The band, not the musical. Backed by the Tacoma Symphony. First though, we chowed down on deep fried food and treats. Take a look at what we sampled:

Some of us had hot dogs.


 Some of us had corn dogs.


 We shared some hot cinnamon roasted nuts, NYC style.


 We split an elephant ear...


 ...and a funnel cake. Gotta have both fried treats, right?


 Are scones a big deal at your fair? People go nuts here. I don't like them, but my sister does.


And I grabbed some peanut butter chocolate Seattle Fudge to take home to Jacob.


My friend had never been on a roller coaster before and we’re planning a trip to Dollywood next year where I will be riding every single ride, so she thought she’d get over her fear on the wooden roller coaster at the fair. To be honest, it’s not very big or scary. She shrunk down into the seat, refused to open her eyes and dug her nails into the padded bar. I had fun. She did not. Afterwards she said she’s glad she went but she’d never do it again. Needless to say, we’re looking for a third person to take on our trip. I need a ride companion.

Before


 During


 After


Then we made our way to the grand stand to check out Chicago. I only really know the ‘80s love songs like If You Leave Me Now, You’re The Inspiration, Hard Habit To Break, Hard To Say I’m Sorry, Look Away, and Will You Still Love Me. You know, the classics. And they actually played most of those, but because they were accompanied by the symphony, they played a lot of their songs from the ‘70s with the big band/jazzy sound. I really enjoyed it.






If you didn’t know, Peter Cetera left the group in 1985 to pursue a solo career. (You know his songs too. Glory Of Love and The Next Time I Fall). Jason Scheff joined the group at then, when he was just 23 and I gotta tell you, I was impressed with his voice. He could hit all the notes Cetera could, he got really into his performances and from far away, he all thought he was dreamy.


Since the performance was so music focused, solos happened throughout the show. The sax player, the trumpet player, the guitar player and the drummer all got their turn. (By the way, I really, really dig a drum solo. I wish I would have learned how to play when I was younger). Then the flutist had his turn and he was very serious about it. Hilarious!



Anyway, these old guys really made my night. By the end of the show we were standing up, dancing and singing at the top of our lungs. I have appreciation for their music from my mom who spent her teen years listening to them on vinyl. And don't we all love a killer love ballad?



By the way, no trip to the fair is complete without a 25 cent foot massage.

No comments:

Post a Comment