Thursday, October 20, 2011

Halloween Spirit

When I was little, my friend’s home turned into a haunted house over Halloween weekend. She and her mom were both very crafty and worked on the transformation all month. When trick or treaters came to the door, we got to go inside and take a tour. I was always so jealous because the only thing we had decorating our house was our poorly carved jack-o’-lanterns on the porch and possibly some window clings.

I haven’t been able to convince Jacob to create a haunted house with me. In reality, I don’t think I want to. It’s a lot of work and money and I’m not sure how excited I am about kids trampling through, dirtying my hardwood floors. I guess I’m just not that into it. I do love to decorate for a holiday though, so for the past three years I’ve started collecting a few things. Here’s what we’ve got going on right now.


Yankee Candle Boney Bunch and haunted house




Yankee Candle tea light holder



I think I got these pumpkin people from the floral department at our grocery store a few years ago.



Jack and Sally carved pumpkins that my friend made for us a few years ago.




Spider candy dish



Our trick or treater candy dish that we named Norman. It’s hard to tell, but he’s two feet tall!



I got these prints from Etsy. I took profile pictures of Nolan and Milo, sent them in,
chose devil and witch accessories, my background colors and patterns and voilà...personalized Halloween art!



Other things that decorate the buffet are tombstones, Halloween trees and a witch tea light holder.



My newest Halloween item is this Scentsy warmer. I’m warming their Sentimental Cider bar right now. Mmmm.
Doesn't it look great between the knife block and cooking utensils?



Nolan put up a skeleton on the play room window.



Our front porch is a sad, sad story. We live in a new community, filled with families and they all decorate like crazy for Halloween and Christmas. Not us. It’s just a mismatch of stuff right now. There isn’t a theme and it’s not scary because our kids are too little.



Pumpkins light the way



Jack-o'-lantern people. Don’t mind the cords. I’ve been nagging at Jacob to make them look nicer.



Our pumpkins that have yet to be carved.



Pumpkin lanterns and a skeleton wind chime



Spiders on the front door



And some glittery signage


So yeah. It’s not much, but it’s a start. As my boys get older and have more input, I’m sure our house will look awesome this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment