Friday, October 22, 2010

Scary Movie Marathon

We are moving into our new house this weekend and will be unpacking the entire week leading up to Halloween, so I decided that this week I’d get into the holiday spirit and Netflix some scary movies. My husband hates them, so I spent my nights on the couch watching movies while he played video games. So romantic! Here’s what I watched and a little review of each.

Scream


I remember being so excited when this came out. I went with my high school boyfriend and it had to have been the first scary movie I saw in the theater. It felt like a return to the classic 80’s horror movies, but making fun of those old movies at the same time. It wasn’t scary this time around. It was actually really funny and kinda cringe worthy, but I still loved it. I think they said "cellular" about twenty times when referring to a cell phone. Hilarious! I think I'll Netflix Scream 2 and 3 soon. And I'm excited now for Scream 4 next year too.

Psycho


I had never seen the original Psycho. I did see the Vince Vaughn version when it came out and liked it, but there really is nothing like a Hitchcock movie, is there? It’s such a creepy plot (based on a true story) and I think old horror movies are always scarier than new ones. Obviously the shower scene is most notable. The music is so annoying! Good movie. 

The Birds


I continued my Hitchcock-a-thon with this movie. I absolutely hate birds, so this movie really did give me the creeps! I thought the special effects were pretty cool for a movie from the 60s. Did you know this was loosely based on a true story? A beach town in California saw birds slamming into their houses and dead birds littered the streets. It was due to shellfish poisoning. Wouldn't that be so creepy? I remember hearing a few years ago that someone was going to remake this movie with George Clooney. I wonder if that’s still happening.

Amityville Horror


Ryan Reynolds. Enough said. When Ryan needs to investigate some noises outside and rips his shirt off, you know, because it slows him down, I stare in awe. The man is hot, blood and all!



The Shining



Still one of the greatest creepy movies to this day. I love Stanley Kubrick, Jack Nicholson, the hotel, the music, the twins, Tony, all of it! I’ve probably seen this movie twenty times, so it doesn’t scare me anymore. I am always the first one to show it to someone who hasn’t seen it. And they all thank me for it. It’s a classic!

Poltergeist


How twisted is this? When we were little and had days off from school, my dad (who worked nights so he spent a lot of time with us during the day) would rent us horror movies. We had Poltergeist marathons all the time! He wasn’t all that bad, we also watched Labyrinth, The Never Ending Story, and awesome John Hughes movies like, Some Kind of Wonderful. But this movie reminds me of all that bonding with my dad on rainy non-school days where he’d serve us popcorn and m&ms. Great movie! “This house is clean.”

So, what are you watching this Halloween?

No comments:

Post a Comment