Thursday, March 25, 2010

Water, Water, Everywhere, Nor Any Drop To Drink


This breaks my heart.




photos from charity: water

Especially when we’ve got this going on in America.


Now I’m not saying America isn’t without it’s problems. In fact, we have a water crisis of our own. Our water has many unregulated contaminants and frankly, it’s running out. But while the average American uses wastes 150 gallons of water per day, those in developing countries cannot find five. (charity: water)

Dirty water claims more lives through disease than any war claims through guns. (water.org)
 
Almost a billion people on the planet don't have access to safe, clean drinking water. That's one in eight of us. (charity: water)

And don’t get me started on bottled water!
 
photo from Twilight Earth

Water is a $400 billion dollar global industry, behind electricity and oil. And according to a scientific study where 103 brands of water were tested, about one-third of the bottles contained synthetic organic chemicals, bacteria, and arsenic. Yum. (NRDC)

Plus, 80% of those single use plastic bottles end up in landfills. Do the Earth a favor and buy a reusable BPA-free water bottle and help out a little. Personally, I love my charity: water thermos hydration bottle.
 

No one should be without water. Ever. I donate a measly $20 a year to charity: water where 100% of my donation directly funds freshwater projects in developing nations. A $20 donation can give one person clean, safe drinking water for 20 years and the purchase of a thermos provides water for two people for 20 years. Buy here or donate here.

Ok, I'll get off my high horse now.

No comments:

Post a Comment