Sunday, February 12, 2012

Mellow Yellow/save the world:Matschie's tree kangaroos



When I finished high school in Borneo, I had a gap year before I went to the University of Windsor in Canada. It was a great year as I left my parents home and went to teach in Kai Chung Secondary School in Binatang. They have since changed the name because Binatang means animal. A coincidence to this post.

As a 19 year old, I got very involved with the students. I enjoyed my time and it seems the students liked me too. Last year, some of these students found me at Facebook. Moh Mee Sui was a senior in the school, I didn't teach him, but we are now friends.He works in Papua New Guinea. He posted this photo and I was curious.

Matschie's tree kangaroos are native to Papua New Guinea, where logging and hunting have threatened the species. They are in danger of extinction. Matschie's tree-kangaroo (Dendrolagus matschiei), also known as the Huon tree-kangaroo is a tree-kangaroo native to the Huon Peninsula of North Eastern New Guinea. Under the IUCN classification, Matschie's tree-kangaroo is endangered In 1996, the IUCN classified the Matschie’s tree-kangaroos as endangered animals.

The scientific name honours German biologist Paul Matschie.

Fortunately, conservation biologists from the Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle recently collaborated with Papua New Guinea villagers to create a 187,800-acre conservation area to protect species like Matschie's tree kangaroo.

The species is one of over 50 species of kangaroo, including about 10 types of tree kangaroo. They're much smaller than the kangaroos most of us are more familiar with (like Australia's red kangaroo

Thanks, Mee Sui.



http://mellowyellowmonday.blogspot.com/




http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment