Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Bag Salad

Have you ever bought a bag salad?


When I was young and free, my BFF and I had a “date night” every week. We’d grab some take out and go back to his place to watch The O.C. Every once in a while we’d cook dinner for ourselves and that almost always included a bag of Caesar salad. Until one day.


While I was busy plating our spaghetti and garlic bread, BFF prepared our salad. He carefully mixed in the Caesar dressing and croutons then topped it with the little pouch of parmesan cheese. With our dinner in hand, we sat down to enjoy Seth and Summer’s witty banter and to see what kind of mess Marissa and Ryan got themselves into this week. I was able to take a few bites before BFF freaked out and tossed his plate on the coffee table. Once he calmed down, we looked at his discovery. A lady bug. In the bag salad.


I have an irrational fear of lady bugs. Posting the above picture just gave me the creeps. I'm afraid of moths and butterflies too. Basically any flying insects. And birds. But I digress.

Even though it wasn’t flying around at my face, I instantly felt like puking and we both threw our food away. The bug was dead and a little on the dry side, but still, so gross.

I swore off bag salads for a long time. But now, we eat them about twice a week. It’s just so easy and convenient. I usually buy a bag of spinach and add sliced almonds and dried cranberries with vinaigrette dressing. I also add chopped walnuts, diced Roma tomatoes and blue cheese crumbles to a bag of mixed greens and top it with raspberry walnut vinaigrette. Or I’ll get a bag of American and add shredded cheddar cheese, chopped cucumbers and tomatoes and top it with ranch and sunflower seeds. They are just so easy and fast. Have you tried any of the new kits? I didn't really like Strawberry Fields, but Apples & Cheddar is goooood. I still need to try Pear Gorgonzola before the summer is over. I typically try these kits once and then recreate them on my own.


The package says “ready to eat,” but I always make sure to wash and inspect it first!

*I'm linking up with The Girl With The Blue Bow's What The Hell Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment